Ahmed was born in Pabna on 9 September 1965 to Kiam Uddin Biswas and Aziza Khatun. He has a son, Ahmed Rezwan Protik , and a daughter, Ahmed Rehnuma Prokriti..After passing HSC examinations from Pabna Edward college in 1982, Ahmed got an opportunity to study soil science in Dhaka University. The chance to study at Dhaka was the turning point for him to be associated with Chhayanaut, a cultural organization committed to build up music talents, especially those of Tagore singers. There he came closure to veteran Tagore singers like Wahidul Haque, Sanjida Khatun, Ikhtiar Omar, Serajus Salekin and others. He received lessons on classical music as well from Ustad Phool Mohammad. In his student life at Dhaka University, he was one of the members of Board of Directors of the DUCSU Cultural Team. He represented the cultural troops of DUCSU to perform Tagore songs at Kolkata University and Kalyani University in India in the 1980s. He was elected “Cultural Secretary” of Hall Union and won as the champion of cultural week of Shahidullah Hall, Dhaka University.
Prior to beginning his career in the Bangladesh Civil Service (BCS), Ahmed opted for the information cadre as his first choice, although he could have joined the administrative cadre. He joined Bangladesh Betar in 1991. To date, he has worked over 26 years in Bangladesh Betar and 3 years in Bangladesh Television. Having a master’s degree from Dhaka University and professional training in mass communication, mass communication research, networking and programme development for electronic mass media, he is the current Director (Program) of Bangladesh Betar.
Many of Ahmed’s albums are based on Tagore songs, and besides performing on stage regularly on Bangladesh Betar and Bangladesh Television, and different other satellite TV channels in the country, he has performed Tagore songs in India, and Sri Lanka.
Ahmed performed Tagore Songs in India, Sri Lanka & Canada. He also performed at the Indira Gandhi Cultural Centre Solo Program& the National Museum Solo Program and the Rajshahi Betar Shilpee Shangstha Solo Program.
Ahmed has traveled in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Zimbabwe, Sri Lanka, India, Nepal, United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia on Professional assignments
Prominent Tagore Singer Kamal Ahmed received several national & international awards. These are :
- SAARC Cultural Society Award (2010) 
- Bangabandhu Research Foundation Podok (2015).gg
- Adwaitia Mallabarman Award (2017), From Maharaja Beerbikram University, India.
- Beer Shaheed Dhirendranath Dutta Award (2017), From Agartala, Tripura, India.
- FOBANA Award (2017), From Canada.
- Rajshahi Betar Shilpee Shangstha Shammanona 2018.
- Jatiya Rabindra Gobeshona & Charcha Kendra Shammanona 2019
Kamal Ahmed has released 17 music albums to his credit on Tagore Songs, Modern Songs, Songs on Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, Shaheed & International Mother Language day and Golden Songs from songs of three poets. The titles of the albums are-
- Shada Megher Bhela (2007) -Tagore Songs.
- Nana Ronger Dinguli (2008) -Tagore Songs.
- Poth Chawatei Ananda (2009) -Tagore Songs.
- Falguner Dine (2010) -Tagore Songs.
- Nishshobdo Charane (2011) -Tagore Songs. (Mixed Album)
- Godhuli (2012) – A Tribute to Kishore Kumar.
- Kan Pete Roi (2013) -Tagore Songs.
- Bendechhi Amar Pran (2014) -Tagore Songs.
- Bhora Thak Smritishudhay (2015) -Tagore Songs.
- Oadhora (2016) – Basic Modern Songs.
- Gaaner Toree (2016) – Songs of three Poets.
- Baluka Belay (2016)- A Tribute to Hemanta Mukherji
- Nidrahara Rater Gan ( 2016) -Tagore Songs.
- Durer Bondhu (2016) -Tagore Songs.
- Mohakabyer Kobi ( 2016) – In India – A Tribute to Father of the Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- Ekusher Shwaralipi (2019) – Songs of Shaheed & International Mother Language Day
- Neel Shomudro (2020) – Romantic Duet Modern.
- Mohakabyer Kobi ( 2020) – In Bangladesh – A Tribute to Father of The Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- Mohakobi (2020) – A Tribute to Father of The Nation Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
- Prothom Prem (2021) -Tagore Songs  
Kamal Ahmed is a sincere patronizer in enriching Bangla Song, especially Tagore Songs. He tries his best to maintain authenticity of lyrics and tunes. He believes- “We can never explore the wholesome of Rabindranath Tagore through diffusing his songs only, we must also study Tagore’s life, literature thoughts and ideas.”